Saturday, October 3, 2009

The Simple Life: Cheap and Good (review…sort of)

A friend of mine pointed out that I keep referring to various home concoctions that I use, but haven’t discussed on my blog. And it’s true. I have a few tried and true, simple, cheap and good items that I use a lot; but I haven’t raved about them because they seemed so ordinary. Some of them are also a little inconvenient. But now I’m thinking that this might be a nice thing to write about. Cheapness and goodness are always appreciated, right?

Okay…

Eye Makeup Remover: Olive Oil (Virgin or Extra Virgin)
After everything I’ve tried, this is still my favorite eye makeup remover. It’s gentle, non-irritating and removes every last bit of everything. It also conditions my skin and lashes. Since it can be pretty messy in liquid form; I put some in a small container and keep it in the refrigerator. This causes it to solidify a little bit and makes it easier to use. When it’s time; I put some on a cotton pad with a spatula and then put some on my finger. I use my finger to gently rub off the eye makeup, then finish with the cotton pad.

Cleanser/Mask: Honey
I love the way this feels! Honey has softening, cleansing and antiseptic properties. It’s also extremely gentle. Now don’t store this in the fridge! Keep it in a place that is not too cold (or it will harden). It’s also best to make sure your hair is completely pulled back from your face. To use, put honey on your fingers, then massage into your face (I’ve even used my Clarisonic to do this). You will be amazed at how good warm honey feels on your skin. Rinse (really well) and look at your pretty, clean, soft face. You can also use it like a mask and leave it on for a while before rinsing. I prefer raw honey that comes in a jar.

Moisturizer: Jojoba
There’s really not much to this. Buy a bottle of Jojoba Oil (Desert Essence is what I usually get). Put a few drops on your fingers and massage into your skin. You only need about 3-4 drops for your whole face. It absorbs quickly and has never caused me to breakout (if you’re worried, though, you can also add a teeny bit of tea tree oil to your Jojoba). This is a great moisturizer for all over, especially hands, elbows and feet.

Hair Mask: Mayonnaise
Now I loathe mayonnaise as a food item. I can’t eat it at all, but I love how it makes my hair look. To use, just take a big glob, and put it all through your hair. Put a shower cap over the whole thing and go on about your business for about 20-30 minutes. Rinse and wash/condition/style as usual. The drawback to using this is that you have to walk around for ½ an hour smelling like mayonnaise; but it really does make your hair look fabulous. If the smell is really unbearable, you can try a mixture of egg yolks, oil and lemon juice. For me the results were almost as good. I’ve also heard beer is great, but haven’t tried it.

Anyway, these are my little happy homemaker beauty hints for your Saturday. Saturday also seemed like a good day to feature these…just in case you have a little extra time to play junior scientist in the kitchen.

Have a great weekend, pretty readers!
.

1 comment:

  1. I also use olive oil to remove eye make-up! It works really well and leaves my skin so soft. I use canola oil too. Posts like these are why I love your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete