Saturday, August 8, 2009

From the TMI Files: Lavilin Underarm Deodorant Cream (review)

Eeek! It’s afternoon already. I am so utterly waaaay behind schedule. I’m finally getting around to researching new transportation, and it’s just eating up the time.

Another thing I’m finally getting around to is my review of Lavilin Deodorant Cream. I had a sample of this for months. I don’t even remember where it came from. Anyway, it was sitting in my “to try” drawer and I kept pushing it aside because it didn’t seem like something that would actually work. It claims to be herbal, hypoallergenic, and eliminate odor for up to 7 days. Really? Ha! I scoffed!

Just read the blurb. You would scoff too.

Blurb: Lavilin Hypo-Allergenic Deodorant was developed by scientists studying the fact that body odor is created when bacteria break down perspiration. So, eliminate the bacteria, and you eliminate the odor! The arnica and calendula in Lavilin do just that - they eliminate the bacteria resulting in a long-lasting, aluminum and alcohol free deodorant that works for days to keep you smelling fresh. Put it on at night, shower or wash off in the morning, and only re-apply when needed again - which can take up to 7 days!

Well I finally decided to just give it a try, check it off the list and move on. After my shower, I applied some and went on with my day. I also kept a container of regular deodorant in my bag “just in case.” I also kept “checking” because it was a hot day, and I was terrified it would stop working.

Well, it didn't stop working. It didn’t last for seven days, but it did last for two. Two full days which included swimming, sitting in a hot tub, a sauna, showering and various errands and activities in hot weather. Freaking WHOA MAN! My regular product barely makes it through one day in the summer.

So I ordered a jar from the internet and tried it again. Same thing. Zero odor for two full days of active summer life. And when it was time, I just reapplied and continued on my merry way. Now I haven’t been using it that long, but so far there’s been absolutely no irritation and it doesn’t get on my clothes or look weird. And oh yeah, it’s completely unscented and supposed to be kinder to your skin than regular deodorant. Whoa!

The first few times, I used more than the instructions said I needed (out of paranoia). Now, I’m using smaller and smaller amounts and find that it seems to work just as well (cheaper too). Today I spent the whole morning and early afternoon running around in the heat, and this stuff is working like a champ. (I look like hell, but I smell fresh as a daisy.)

I’m starting to think that this deodorant might actually last for a full 7 days during the cooler months of the year. I wish I could find a local store that carried it; but for now I’ll just have to buy it online. You can also order a trial size sample online from the company. If anyone else knows where this is available in the Philly area, please drop a line. Lavilin also makes a foot deodorant cream.
.

6 comments:

  1. I'm shopping around for new deodorants and might try this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's definitely worth a try - I wish it came in a bigger package though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just receive a sample at an event I attended. I have been in the market for a new form of odor and sweat protection. I'm worried that the traditional brands may cause health issues in the long run. also, they don't work very long. I must change deodorants four times a year. I'm looking forward to trying this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So any updates on your experience with Lavilin? I just switched over 3 weeks ago. I stumbled across some press touting the benefits of Lavilin and thought I'd give it a try. No problems so far. In fact, it's really great! Will come back to this in another few months to let you know how I'm feeling then!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I stumbled upon Lavilin while on my quest for finding the right natural deodorant, and right now I'm stuck between Tom's of Maine, Lavilin, and Malin+Goetz. Have you, by chance, tried toms or malin deodorant? It's great to hear that another personal review gave the go ahead for Lavilin thought:). I'm glad it worked for you. I know it's been a while since you've written this article, but are you still using Lavilin now?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Odorify should probably write an review on Lavilin since it seems to have such promising qualities.

    ReplyDelete