Friday, July 17, 2009

Pretty Home DIY: Homemade Fabric Freshener

My LUSH post (below) reminded me that I recently had my very first Mojito (I know, that's like soooo 2008). I love them now. The flavor of the mint leaves was still on my tongue the next morning (and I seriously hope that my breath was minty and not Mojito-ey). I don't drink often (because of singing and all); but in the space of three weeks, I had margaritas and mojitos. Gasp! I guess I'll start calling around now to reserve my bed in rehab.

Anyhoo…besides remembering almost behaving like a tacky wino; I also got to thinking about some of the many respectable uses for hard liquor. Specifically, cheap vodka.

To balance out my mad, reckless behavior, I'm going to be all Martha Stewart-ey and share my recipe for home made fabric freshener. A costumer in one of my previous shows told me that a spritz of vodka was great for freshening fabrics. It's inexpensive, removes odors (by killing bacteria) and evaporates quickly.

So I got all creative one day and mixed up a little vodka with some essential oils and made a great freshener for soft surfaces (carpet, drapes, furniture, linens, etc). Ever since then, I've been thoroughly smug every time someone says my apartment smells great.

Ready?

- 1 spray bottle (preferably in a cute color)
- 2 cups super cheap vodka (any brand)
- 2 drops vanilla essential oil
- 4 drops peppermint essential oil
- 6 drops grapefruit (or orange) essential oil

That's it. Just vodka and essential oils. Put it all in the spray bottle, shake and spritz. And if you wanted to get all free spirited, you could break the rules and use different oils...or use them in different amounts and/or combinations. How crazy would that be?

My favorite place to buy essential oils: Le Melange
Places to buy vodka: The local store (or local sleazy bar)

Of course if this doesn't sound fun, you can always just buy some Febreeze. But then you'd miss out on all the DIY self satisfaction. And most importantly, you'd miss the huge fun of bringing a giant jug of super cheap vodka to the cash register and watching the cashier decide whether or not to judge you.

Hey, fun is everywhere.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment