Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Fun with (Stila) Smudge Pots (not exactly a review – more like a helpful hint)

Hi everyone! Today it's back to work and four days of "regular" life. I had planned to feature a product I tried out over the weekend…but said product ended up being very un-blogworthy. Too bad. It looked really promising. And since I have a policy of only featuring products I love; I suddenly find myself with a "free" space in my blog calendar. (Hideously organized people like me actually have a calendar of their upcoming stories – it keeps me from posting 20 eyeliner reviews in a row).

Anyway…a lot of things this weekend didn't go as planned. There were some good surprises, and some less than good ones. But still…it was a long weekend. Even though some plans went awry; I still got to sleep in, talk on the phone, hang out with friends, enjoy the nice weather, and sing along to the radio on a long car ride. Not bad.

Aaaaaand. I discovered the most stay-put, budge-proof, will-never-ever-move shadow combo ever! Using fabulous items (previously reviewed) from Stila.

Smudge Pots (in Bronze, Kitten and Golden Noir/Black Cat)

Blurb: The verdict is in, and smudge pots take the prize for sexy eyes! This unique gel eyeliner and shadow is an innovative alternative to traditional powder and liquid formulas. This clever little gel has an inky intensity that leaves powder shadows in the dust. A favorite for the sultry, smoky eye. Apply with a liner brush for razor-sharp precision or smudge it with your fingers for more complete coverage. Remember to always close the airtight lid to keep the gel soft and pliable.

Okay, you've all seen the blurb before on my blog. And you all know that I'm a huge fan of Smudge Pots. I've used them as shadows sometimes; but I'd never done my whole eye with them. I got the idea while I was waiting for the air conditioning to kick in so I could put on my makeup. I had a really long day/evening ahead, and I suddenly got the idea to use nothing but Smudge Pots.

I used a small concealer brush and applied "Kitten" on my brow bone, and on the inner corners as a highlighter. Kitten has a really beautiful pale pink shimmer, so it did a great job of lifting and adding subtle light.

For my lids, I used "Bronze." I did a sheer layer on my lids, and then blended more layers in the creases and edges for contouring. I got a shimmering, deep bronze lid that I loved.

Finally, I used my liner brush to line my eyes with "Golden Noir" (If you don't have this color, I suspect "Black Cat" would work just as well).

The look was awesome! The smudgepots went on smoothly, were easy to blend, and then set to a budge-proof finish. And the liner went on perfectly over the shadows. I looked polished and glamorous without looking harsh or "painted."

And it stayed put all day and all night! I was out in the heat and humidity, met friends for coffee, took a 3 hour car-ride with the top down, went to a club, got home around 3:30 am; and every Smudge Pot smidgen was still there. I couldn't believe it - absolutely no smudging or fading. Totally fab.

This is definitely a keeper for the upcoming months of East Coast heat and humidity. I expect this could last through just about any barbecue or pool party that summer could throw my way.

If you want to see all of the gorgeous smudge pot colors, check out the website. There are 8 regular shades as well as the Smudge Pot Collection and Barbie Loves Stila sets.

Happy Tuesday!
.

No comments:

Post a Comment