Friday, April 3, 2009

My Love is for Lava

Possibly, the beauty item I love most is eyeliner. And I mean LOVE. And I also mean the kind of eyeliner you put on with a brush. Gel liner, cream liner, liquid liner and eyeshadow used as eyeliner. Matte liner, shiny liner, shimmery, sparkly…sigh!

So it follows that eyeliner palettes have a special, special place in my heart. My current favorite (I am also fickle) is my Proof Cream Eye Liner Palette by smashbox.

Company blurb: This sleek portable palette holds 10 shades of our best-selling cream eye liner. A must-have for every makeup artist.

Even though I'm not a makeup artist, I couldn't agree more. This palette has colors (10 of them!) ranging from "Putty" (top right), a very neutral, wearable medium-brown, to deep evening tones like "Midnight Purple" (top middle). In between are browns, blue, grey, etc. One of the things I also appreciate about smashbox eyeliners are the fact that they stay soft and smudgable for a minute or two; then the color sets and stays put all day. The case is slim, closes securely and slips easily into a little bag. I prefer using my own little liner brush, but the one that comes with the palette isn't bad.

Today I finally tried out the color, "Lava" (top left). In the tray it looked silver and I thought it might be too light and glittery. I was wrong. So very wrong. Can you ever forgive me for doubting you, Lava? On the eyes, it is a gorgeous smoky charcoal with a hint of sparkle. The effect is a soft, flattering shimmer. Today I'm wearing a "daytime" amount; but I'm pretty sure that if I wanted to, I could build up another layer or two and get a beautiful, dramatic evening look.
I keep running to the mirror to look at my eyes. They are sparkling with my love for Lava.

P.S.: And get this! According to their website, smashbox will soon be offering personal color picks for this palette! Whoa, man. Whoa.

1 comment:

  1. I soooooo agree. Smashbox really does have one of THE best liner formulations out there. Love 'em.

    xo
    Roxy

    ReplyDelete