Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Avon Skin So Soft Satin Glow (review)

I fully realize that I’m a zealot when it comes to sun protection. Probably because I’m such a recent convert. Growing up in Southern California, I had a year-round tan which I managed to boost every summer by laying out in the sun with a layer of baby oil (I know – yikes). When I lived in San Francisco, it was much colder, so my sunbathing stopped. But I still didn't think I needed sunscreen, because I didn’t burn. I didn’t even own sunscreen (again – yikes). But I found there are other "things" to worry about besides sunburn. After seeing the beginnings of brown spots on my cheeks (YIKES), I finally got all gung ho about SPF and have remained gung ho ever since.

Truthfully, I think my skin looks nice without a tan – with one exception. My impossibly ghost-white, glow-in-the-dark legs. Not only are they several shades whiter than the rest of my body, they also have some faint scars from past clumsiness. And because I wear sandals, the tops of my feet tend to be slightly darker. Weird.

I’ve been looking for something that would give a little bit of color to my legs without lots of hassle and/or expense. And among some Avon products I received a while back was yet another fine surprise: Avon SKIN SO SOFT Satin Glow Continuous Mist Airbrush Spray.

Blurb: A flawless, sunkissed glow...in just 4 days! Get a natural summer glow! 360° aerosol delivers a quick-drying mist for all over coverage—even hard-to-reach areas.

This met my needs perfectly. It’s a fine spray mist that is extremely easy to apply. It also dries very quickly (about 30 seconds). It takes a few hours for the color to show up fully, so resist the urge to overspray. I used it over 4 days and the color deepened gradually just as promised. No streaks and the shade was a very believable brown. I have it in “fair” - it also comes in “medium” (but not in “ghostly-white”). Be sure to follow the directions and use on clean, exfoliated skin (do not use after shaving). And, as with other self-tanners, be sparing around ankles, knees and elbows. I'm really happy that I can easily get natural looking color where I desperately need it.

FYI: right now, there is a bath and body sale on the Avon website (buy 1, get one for 99¢).
.

No comments:

Post a Comment