Monday, February 22, 2010

Toys! Urban Decay Alice In Wonderland Book of Shadows (review)

Last Friday I happened to mention that I love makeup and beauty products in general, because they allow me to play up the features I love and downplay the features I don't love so much. But that's only one of the many things that have lured me into beauty junkiedom.

One of the biggest reasons for my ongoing love affair with "stuff" is: Playing with all pretty colors. Every morning (and some evenings), I get to spend a few minutes playing with my pretty, colored toys. I'm guaranteed a little bit of girly fun at the start of each day.

Well, you can just imagine how many cartwheels (imaginary cartwheels) my "inner girl" turned when Urban Decay launched their new Shadow Palette.

Alice In Wonderland Book of Shadows Palette

Blurb: What a dream come true! When Disney called to ask if we would design a product for the launch of Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland, we were like, “Um…. Yes!” The result is this truly amazing (and seriously collectible) Book of Shadows.

Open the palette to reveal a pop-up scene of Alice in the mushroom forest. Her “drink me” bottle discarded, she staggers past towering mushrooms, only to cross paths with a very peculiar, hookah-smoking caterpillar. A large mirror rests behind the scene – you feel as if you are transported into the film itself.

Hidden inside a secret drawer are 16 best-selling Eyeshadows, given topsy-turvy names like White Rabbit, Jabberwocky and Oraculum. Alongside them lie travel sizes of Eyeshadow Primer Potion and two 24/7 Eye Pencils. From smoky neutral eyes to flashes of hallucinogenic green and purple, the looks you can create are as endless as the rabbit hole itself. Anyone who loves Urban Decay, Tim Burton, Disney, or Alice in Wonderland absolutely MUST have this palette. Even the Mad Hatter would say this Book of Shadows delivers it all.

You already know I’m a big fan of UD shadows. Check any of my earlier reviews if you want to know all about the excellent, wearable, long lasting, highly pigmented formulas. In this review, however, I plan to just go on (and on) about how much fun this palette is to play with.

To begin with, the box is gorgeous, fun and has a bit of the UD/Burtonesque edge to it. There's an awesome pop-up scene of Alice among the mushrooms. And like the other "Books," it has the built-in mirror and the cool slide-out drawer.

And the colors! Whoa, Man! There are 16 of UD shadows (with cool Alice-inspired names). My hands down favorite is "Alice." It's an awesome shade of Aqua - kind of like Alice’s dress, but more shimmery (sort of how her dress would look if she had opted for sequins). "Jabberwocky" is another standout. It's a versatile sparkly black that is a dramatic dry shadow and a crazy edgy wet shadow (or liner). The other one I especially loved was "Curiouser" (a sparkly lavender). "Curioser" was great as a creamy wet shadow.

Visit the website for more info. (Also, February's deal of the month is a free Sin Primer Potion sample on orders over $35.) You can also find Urban Decay at Sephora, Ulta, and beauty.com.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment