Friday, February 5, 2010

Red Lips Kiss My Blues Away! Go Red For Women – Part 5 (info and review redux)

Today is Go Red for Women Day (also known as National Wear Red Day). I've been doing a little feature (aka: featurette) each day this week to give the day a bit of attention.

Go Red for Women Day was founded by the American Heart Association to promote awareness of heart disease for women. By wearing red today, you're helping to raise awareness about heart disease. You can also check out the Go Red website for more opportunities, events and ideas.

Today's Link: Learn to protect your own heart! Check out the ABC's of Prevention from the American Heart Association.

Red Beauty Suggestions: A parade of lovely red lipsticks! You're probably dressed already (if you're not, I'm horribly jealous of you). So instead of suggesting clothes, I thought I'd spotlight one of my favorite beauty items…red lipstick. Here is a revisit of some of my favorites…

Bésame Cosmetics Voluptuous Lip Color Set (Red Velvet)

This is one glamorous, gorgeous lipstick. The color is a rich, deep crimson with a luxurious, satin finish. My lips looked absolutely lavish. (Think warm nights, expensive cocktails, tangos and Antonio Banderas.) This is knock-em-out, dressed-to-kill, femme fatale red. It also has great staying power (femmes fatale need staying power). For something a little different, I also smudged this on my lips with my finger and got a fab I-look-really-hot-in-just-my-jeans lip stain.

Josie Maran Lipstick (Desirious)

This one goes on silky, silky smooth. It feels like it’s hydrating and softening. It's meant to nourish and condition – and it does. It's also exactly the right shade of brick red. It goes on in a thin layer, and it's highly pigmented. The result is smooth, even texture and deep color. It even left plenty of pigment behind after some of the shine had rubbed off – making my lips look slightly stained. Very nice.


A sheer, yet vibrant cranberry in Clinique's super comfy, shiny, moisturizing Butter Shine formula. I love the soft shine combined with the flattering (and festive) cranberry color.

pürminerals Mineral Shea Butter Lipstick (Red Ruby)

Fab! It's called "Ruby," but it's really a sweet, delicious, fun cherry red. Perfect for a pretty cherry pout.

Stila Long Wear Lip Color (Paramour and Rendezvous)

These are a great cross between a gloss and stick. The packaging is excellent for keeping in your bag or desk drawer (or even your pocket). "Paramour" is a medium brick red, and "Rendezvous" is a brownish red with a bit of shimmer. Both are highly pigmented. They feel really lovely and soft on the lips and have better than expected staying power.

YSL Fard À Lèvres Rouge Pur (Opium Red #131)

I am still in hot freaky love with this lipstick - highly pigmented, creamy color that glides on and feel absolutely weightless. And it looks stunning – full coverage lipstick with a lovely sheen. It also lasts like you wouldn't believe - eating, drinking, talking, singing, whatever. And when the lipstick finally does rub off, there's still color left behind on the lips. This is the kind of drop-dead, gorgeous red that could only come from a French company. A warm, deep, velvety shade that flatters almost every skin tone. Sexy, voluptuous and decadent. Sigh!

DuWop Private Red

Just when I thought my obsession for red lipstick had run its course; this one pulled…me…back…in! I can't vouch for each person, but it sure worked for this particular person (aka: me). The color looked a little orangey when it went on; but within a couple of seconds, the shade changed slightly and looked exactly right for my complexion. The formula is smooth, creamy and has a soft shine. It also leaves a gorgeous stain that lasts forever.
.

3 comments:

  1. I would love to go for the whole bright red lips look but I find that I have to wear a lot of dark eye makeup to make my eyes look ok, so that combined with red lips makes me look a bit over done! Any advice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My two suggestions. First, pull back a bit on the eye makeup and stick to neutrals (browns, blacks, greys). That might be enough to tone things down.

    If it's still too much,though, you may have to settle for a red gloss or stain (a nice "middle ground" is to take a bit of lipstick on your finger and rub it on to make a stain - you may or may not want to ad a tiny bit of gloss over it).

    Let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to wear a lot of dark eye makeup to make my eyes look ok, so that combined with red lips makes me look a bit over done! Any advice?

    ReplyDelete